Sunday, February 1, 2009

Is it February yet?

So even though it is February 1st doesn't mean that my job is any easier. In fact, I was still receiving information for W-2s and 1099s yesterday! What is with the procrastinators? It's frustrating and quite annoying. This last week at work was very stressful. I'll admit it, I was quite the witch! In fact, one day Gene told me to get off my broom. I said I would, but I might hit him with it. He laughed and said, "Then please stay on it."

Friday was Tim's surgery thing, and everything is A.O.K. Thank you, Lord for answering prayers. That was the only good thing that seemed to happen last week. We had word about several passings.

On Monday night Marjorie texted me and told me that she and her whole family were at the bedside of her uncle was wasn't expected to make it through the night. He was quite sick and only gave him 6 weeks to live. I believe that he didn't make it past for weeks. So on Saturday afternoon, Marjorie was at the funeral.

Then there was a shocking death that I'm sure most of you heard on the news. Billy Powell, the keyboardist from Lynyrd Skynyrd died while calling for emergency help. He was having some troubles breathing. When the medical people arrived at the home, he was laying there with the phone in his hand. His funeral was on Saturday as well.

Kim had called me at work to tell me about it and what a show it must have been. I have this "thing" for Kid Rock. Don't ask me why, but I have been in love with him for many years. He's not the most attractive man on the face of the earth, but maybe it's because he's such a "bad boy" that I'm so into.

Anyway, for those of you who don't know who he is or what he does, he's a rock/country singer who was at one point married to Pam Anderson. Not what you would consider to be a very religious or church going individual. He and Billy were quite good friends. Kid Rock's most recent hit was a song titled ALL SUMMER LONG. Billy played the keyboard on the track. It was my summer anthem this year.

Ok, anyway, back to the story. Kim called and asked, "What would you say if I told you I heard Kid Rock sing This Little Gospel Light of Mine"?

I said, " Thing I'd fall out of my chair."

She replied, "Well, you better hold on tight. Not only did I see him sing it, he sounded amazing."

Ok, never in a million years could I imagine Kid Rock singing a religious song and then sounding amazing. I'd love to hear his version of the song.

I saw Billy walking his dogs with his wife, Ellen, the last time I was down in Florida. I can't say I knew them personally, but with the time Kim had with the family, I feel as if I knew them for a long time. They are real people. The fame didn't seem to go to Billy's head. That's what drew me to the man. My heart is with Ellen right now. I pray that the Lord be with her through these rough times.

Before I hung up the phone with Kim on Saturday, I asked how Ellen was doing. She told me that she couldn't get to her at the funeral. And then in the next breath she said, "I'll get my neighborly duty to help in the weeks to come." I said boldly, "I know you will." She knows just what to say in times like this.



Rest In Peace!

(Lyrics from Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd)
If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me? For I must be traveling on now. There's too many places I've got to see. If I stay here with you girl, things just couldn't be the same. Cause I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you cannot change....




1 comment:

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Sweetie!

Great posting! Thanks for the compliment--again! In recent days I have listened to various "Skynyrd" songs on youtube and such, and cannot get that song out of my head, especially now that Billy is gone. There is one version on youtube from before the plane crash where Billy is only in his young 20's.....and none of them had died yet! It is so much more significant now.

Love and hugs,

Kim